[c-nsp] Is annual reloads of Cisco 6500 necessary

Łukasz Bromirski lukasz at bromirski.net
Sat Dec 12 20:48:00 EST 2009

On 2009-12-13 02:32, Peter Hicks wrote:
> Thilak T wrote:
>
>> How important or significant is to schedule reloads of Data Center
>> /Campus
>> switches with uptime over 1 year ? What is the logic/reason behind this
>> advice from Cisco.

...ah, and I've forgot about the other instance I saw it - another
case, where the device was working as a edge BGP-peering device, and
has constantly allocated/deallocated memory. IOS doesn't defragment
free space, so it was an assumption that after X days of operation
within this specific environment the customer may choose to reboot
the device to refragment the memory - if I remember correctly it
was just like about the one year quoted.

--
"Everything will be okay in the end. |                  Łukasz Bromirski
  If it's not okay, it's not the end. |       http://lukasz.bromirski.net