[c-nsp] Weird ARP Issue with 3rd party equipment

Mike mike-cisconsplist at tiedyenetworks.com
Tue Dec 29 14:50:43 EST 2009

Paul Stewart wrote:
> The CMM module and the Access Points never have an issue - the subscriber
> units have the problem of being reachable/pingable.  When they are not
> reachable, the web interface doesn't work neither.  All of the Motorola
> equipment involved are identical units with same software revisions.

So in *some* wireless environments, especially the canopy platform,
bridging is handled a little bit differently than what 802.1d states
concerning 'flooding'. The deal is that the Access points _do not flood_
frames with unknown mac addresses, and only build their bridging tables
based on what they see comming from the subscribers.  This is why then
if you clear your arp cache you get ping connectivity again - clearing
arp means your router will send to the broadcast address in order to
resolve the mac/ip, which then causes the access point to flood the
broadcast, and an arp reply comes back which fills in the AP's bridging
table and establishing connectivity.

Normally, this can 'become a problem' if your access point is rebooted.
The mac table will be cleared on boot and it will be only until another
arp/broadcast comes in that the table is repopulated per the above. So
the first thing to check then is, is your access point rebooting (check
it's uptime)? And secondly, when you are experiencing the problem, can
you verify that the subscriber's mac address is in the bridge table? I
betcha the answer to #1 is yes and the answer to #2 is no.

Mike-