[c-nsp] DS1 provisioning using IP Unnumbered vs /30s

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Thu Feb 5 20:48:35 EST 2009

The problem mainly has to do with troubleshooting.  Sometimes you need
to know whether a customer's CPE is genuinely down on the WAN side, and
not necessarily the LAN interface where the head of the routed block
typically is.  To make that work, it helps to have real transport IPs on
the WAN interface.

There is no reason why you need to "waste" IP address on the /30s - who
said they have to be public IPs?  Just carve out some address space out
of a 10.0.0.0/8 range and use private transport IPs.  All you need them
for is to test end-to-end connectivity from the aggregation router on
your side, not for any other reachability purpose.  If they pay for 1
static IP you can throw it up on a loopback interface on the other side
and add a /32 route for it over the transport /30 block.