[c-nsp] setting source address for icmp messages

Dale Shaw dale.shaw+cisco-nsp at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 23:50:42 EST 2009

Hi,

When I read the OP I figured he was talking about automatically
generated ICMP messages (e.g. unreachables, source quench), not pings
send for administrative purposes (or IP SLAs or whatever).

I don't personally know of an elegant way to achieve this. One
potentially undesirable option might be to disable unreachables ("no
ip unreachables") on the privately-addressed interfaces. Why are the
messages being generated anyway? no route? ACL violation?

Sending the messages sourced with an address of anything but the
interface where the packet landed probably violates some RFC. I _can_
see why you (Mike) want to do this.

Such packets (sourced with RFC1918 addresses) should be explicitly
nailed at the perimeter anyway.

cheers,
Dale