[c-nsp] VTP domain.

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Tue Feb 10 15:56:18 EST 2009

On Tue, 2009-02-10 at 11:02 -0800, Keith wrote:
> Have a 3560 I am configuring to replace a 3550. Somehow the 3560 grabbed a
> vtp domain name when it was connected to another switch in our lab rack.
> The switch is not part of any domain, it just pushes packets.
>
> The 3550 being replaced has no vtp domain name. Is it possible to remove
> the vtp domain name without deleting the vlan.dat file? I have looked over
> the TAC but see nothing really regarding removing a vtp domain name. Lots
> about adding one, not about removing one.
>
> There are two routed connections to two other switches, I don't have to
> worry about any vlan advertisments being sent from the 3560 as long as
> there are no trunks between switches correct? I'm very afraid of swapping
> out the switches and having vlan data overwritten...

Don't rely on different VTP domains (or even passwords) for this kind of
seperation. Instead set the device to use "vtp mode transparent". This
way it will not send or recieve VTP messages.

About the questions: AFAIK there's no way to explicitly set a "null"
name for the VTP domain when it has already been set. And AFAIK you're
right about VTP not being carried across access ports.

But do use transparent VTP mode if you need the switch to stay out of
VTP.

Regards,
Peter