[c-nsp] 7600 SVI + Subinterface Question

Saku Ytti saku+cisco-nsp at ytti.fi
Sat Feb 14 11:24:25 EST 2009

On (2009-02-14 17:05 +0100), Arie Vayner (avayner) wrote:

> You can do it on regular ES20's with EVC.

>> Sure you can workaround this through EVC in ES20 but that is another
>> bag of worms. I would strongly advice against anyone buying ES20,
>> as ES+ costs the same.

The bag of worms I was referring to, means e.g. you can only match
to CoS or class-default in EVC MQC. ACL is not available.
So simple requirement of policing all traffic means you do class-default,
instead of correct solution of ACL of 'any'. With class-default you
lose ability to use VPN CAM and in L3 MPLS VPN environment you increase
your VLAN usage (and reduce the amount of customers you can terminate).

Also one could argue higher configuration overhead to use EVC + SVI, more
cruft in config. Many people don't like seeing lot and lot of SVI's when
subinterface suffices.
It would be nice, if EVC would optionally implement SVI internally, so
you could simply add IP address to EVC when you only have one interface
for given connection.

--
  ++ytti