[c-nsp] Cisco 3012 IBM Blade Switch Configurations?

David Hughes David at hughes.com.au
Mon Feb 16 16:52:44 EST 2009

On 17/02/2009, at 5:21 AM, ChrisSerafin wrote:

> That brings up a good point about STP. If I have 1 etherchannel
> going from each switch blade to each upstream switch, will the
> switches detect the loops or do I need to manually configure this?
> Thanks for your comments!

The blade switches operate as separate switches and can be viewed as
if they were your normal 29xx or 35xx access switch depending on the
CIGESM you buy (well, with a couple of caveats about their management
interfaces).  If the switches are connected to your network via a
single etherchannel then there's no possibility of a loop - other than
a mis-configured etherchannel.  You don't get loops but you don't get
any redundancy at the network layer.  In this setup I assume you are
using some form of NIC teaming and failover on the blades themselves
for redundancy.  That's not going to pick up a failed uplink on your
primary switching path as most teaming drivers only look at link state
on the NIC.

If you are following a "normal" dual attached model where each access
switch (be it a top of rack switch or a blade switch module) is
uplinked to 2 different switches then you get link redundancy but
naturally need STP.  If you are running dense virtualisation or vm
server farms then the STP you should be running is MST.

Thanks

David