[c-nsp] VRF-Lite and VRF Source-select

Vitaliy Karlov vitaliy.karlov at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 02:22:23 EST 2009

On Feb 16, 2009, at 11:00 PM, Ibrahim Abo Zaid wrote:

> Hi All

Hello.

> I was reading about VRF Source-select feature and want to know is
> this this
> supported with VRF-Lite or needs MPLS-VPN backbone ?

There are couple ways to select VRF based on source IP: VRF selection
based on source address and VRF selection using Policy based routing
(PBR).  I tried to implement second one in 7600 (SRC), but it was
complete unsupported in hardware and VRF selection was performed in
software. Regarding you question in my test lab was no MPLS-VPN
backbone, just plain VRF-Lite. I cannot tell you about VRF selection
based on address, but I pretty sure you don't need MPLS-VPN backbone
as well.

-kv