[c-nsp] Real life and worst-case performance of Cisco and Juniper?

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Fri Feb 27 09:55:49 EST 2009

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009, Rick Ernst wrote:

> Essentially, what could the Sup720 handle if every packet hit the CPU?
> Does the architectural difference between the Sup720 and 7200/7500 at
> least somewhat mitigate CPU impact with CAR/policing?

So.. You should look into RSP720 and not SUP720 if you're buying new (more
CPU, same list price).

I don't have any numbers on CPU forwarding performance on the RSP/SUP720,
but basically you'd be very disappointed, it'd be in the few 100kpps
range, whereas worst case performance with CFC only is around 15Mpps.
Don't enable features that use the process switching path.

If you just want to move packets, RSP720+67xx series line cards will do
just fine, plenty of grunt even without DFC.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se