[c-nsp] GRE on Cat-4948 switch

Łukasz Bromirski lukasz at bromirski.net
Thu Jan 15 04:59:47 EST 2009

On 2009-01-14 17:07, Ian MacKinnon wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Does anybody have any idea the impact of running multiple GRE tunnels on
> a 4948 switch

It is supported but the routing is in software. On a platform
architected to forward traffic in hardware, doing software switching
is bad thing to do.

> I can see that it will be processed by software rather than hardware,
> but just how much of a problem is this likely to be?

Routing through CPU on 4948 gives about 30kpps with 100% CPU load.

--
"Don't expect me to cry for all the     |               Łukasz Bromirski
  reasons you had to die" -- Kurt Cobain |    http://lukasz.bromirski.net