[c-nsp] using a /29 mask on a /30 point-to-point

Geoffrey Pendery geoff at pendery.net
Wed Jul 1 09:46:42 EDT 2009

Or short of changing ISP, change your layout.

I assume you are receiving either:
A.  One hand-off going to a switch, then ports on that switch used to
connect to outside interfaces of both PIXes.
B.  Two hand-offs, each one going to a PIX outside interface.

If it's A, then adding a router isn't really "adding a single point of
failure", since you already have SPoFs (the single hand-off and the
single switch).  Just replace the switch with either a router or a
layer 3 switch (like a 3560/3750).
If it's B, then add two routers, one for each hand-off, and have them
do HSRP/VRRP/GLBP on the inside for your firewalls.

Either solution seems less likely to get your "Internet Drivers
License revoked" than trying to wrangle some IP trickery on a /28
(suggested above in lieu of /29, probably a better idea since none of
the actual interface addresses will be seen as the broadcast address
by your hosts).

But yes, it would probably work.  And of course correct me if your
layout is actually C.

-Geoff