[c-nsp] Netflow Collector shows minimal bandwidth from 6509

Justin Krejci jkrejci at usinternet.com
Mon Jul 6 10:01:42 EDT 2009

List,

My netflow collector was running just fine with my previous 7206VXR-NPEG1.
After swapping out to a new 6509 (hardware specs below, same as discussed in
earliar LX vs LH thread) our netflow (ver 5) collector is reporting a
fraction (around 30-40% on inbound and around 0-1% on outbound) of the
traffic across the gig5/1 interface. The results of my netflow collector
indicate my netflow configuration is not setup properly though after reading
thru these Cisco documents it does not appear I am missing anything from the
config. I've tried playing around with various other configs but nothing
seems to work. Am I missing some config or is my hardware not going to give
me the data I am looking for?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration
_example09186a0080721701.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configu
ration/guide/netflow.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SXF/native
/configuration/guide/nde.html

Though I did read this line from the first URL above that seems ominous for
me since I am looking for L3 traffic (router interface gig5/1)
The Policy Feature Card 3 (PFC3) and Policy Feature Card 2 (PFC2) do not use
the NetFlow table for Layer 3 switching in hardware.

Also when I run a tcpdump on the collector server for the netflow traffic
from this 6509 it shows traffic in small batches whereas on other netflow
collectors still receiving from 7206 routers it's a steady stream of UDP
packets.

Cat6509

IOS: Version 12.2(33)SXI

Mod Ports Card Type                              Model

--- ----- -------------------------------------- ---------------

  1   48  CEF720 48 port 10/100/1000mb Ethernet  WS-X6748-GE-TX

  5    2  Supervisor Engine 720 (Active)         WS-SUP720-3BXL

Mod  Sub-Module                  Model

---- --------------------------- --------------

  1  Centralized Forwarding Card WS-F6700-CFC

  5  Policy Feature Card 3       WS-F6K-PFC3BXL

  5  MSFC3 Daughterboard         WS-SUP720

6509#show run | inc mls

mls ip slb purge global

mls aging normal 120

mls exclude acl-deny

mls netflow interface

mls flow ip interface-full

no mls flow ipv6

mls nde sender version 5

mls cef error action freeze

6509#show run | inc flow-ex

ip flow-export source GigabitEthernet1/1

ip flow-export version 5

ip flow-export destination 10.255.244.71 9996

6509#show mls netflow flowmas

 current ip   flowmask for unicast:   if-full

 current ipv6 flowmask for unicast:    null

6509#show mls netflow table-contention detailed

Earl in Module 5

Detailed Netflow CAM (TCAM and ICAM) Utilization

TCAM Utilization             :   20%

ICAM Utilization             :   1%

Netflow TCAM count           :   54697

Netflow ICAM count           :   2

Netflow Creation Failures    :   0

Netflow CAM aliases          :   0

6509#sh mls nde

 Netflow Data Export enabled

 Exporting flows to  10.255.244.71 (9996)

 Exporting flows from 10.255.244.4 (56343)

 Version: 5

 Layer2 flow creation is disabled

 Layer2 flow export is disabled

 Include Filter not configured

 Exclude Filter not configured

 Total Netflow Data Export Packets are:

    6640025 packets, 0 no packets, 192559651 records

 Total Netflow Data Export Send Errors:

        IPWRITE_NO_FIB = 0

        IPWRITE_ADJ_FAILED = 0

        IPWRITE_PROCESS = 0

        IPWRITE_ENQUEUE_FAILED = 0

        IPWRITE_IPC_FAILED = 0

        IPWRITE_OUTPUT_FAILED = 0

        IPWRITE_MTU_FAILED = 0

        IPWRITE_ENCAPFIX_FAILED = 0

        IPWRITE_CARD_FAILED = 0

 Netflow Aggregation Disabled

interface GigabitEthernet5/1

 ip flow ingress

 ip flow egress

6509#show int g5/1 | inc 30 second

  30 second input rate 102688000 bits/sec, 18410 packets/sec

  30 second output rate 136059000 bits/sec, 30058 packets/sec

Sincerely and thanks,
Justin Krejci