[c-nsp] DHCP behavior on a link up

Michael Balasko Michael.Balasko at cityofhenderson.com
Thu Jul 9 13:21:14 EDT 2009

Here is what I am getting and I have a fix after piles of digging, but
that doesn't excuse the behavior from Xerox.

We use Cisco Network Registrar for DHCP and after chasing this issue we
have decided to turn off "allow-lease-time-override", which If
allow-lease-time-override is enabled for a policy applicable to the
request, the server accepts a shorter lease time from the client,  which
is where the grief is affecting us.

But the lame part is Xerox wants a pretty long lease- 136years and
change which is awfully close to 2^32 J

R1017230: ----- RECEIVED -- R1017230 -----

R1017227:   ->    packet length = 314

R1017227:   ->      dhcp-message-type = DHCPDISCOVER

R1017227:   ->      dhcp-lease-time = 136y10w6h28m15s

R1017227:   ->      dhcp-requested-address = 172.21.154.118

R1017227:   ->      host-name = XRX6C9AB7

My DHCP server then hands back a 60 minute lease which its configured
to hand back if a client requests a lease time as opposed to the
"standard lease time" we have defined. I've fixed that tooJ

Thanks for the help guys!!!

Mike