[c-nsp] IP multicast traffic overwhelms switches

victor vitya at list.ru
Fri Jul 10 12:12:32 EDT 2009

Hi
We are getting ready a residential triple-play network for the launch. As
part of my job I'm conducting various tests on its performance, delays,
etc before we go into production. Today was the multicast time and testing
it I got very discouraging results. Under very moderate load of 15 IPTV
streams (each approximately 1-1,5Mbps) the cpu gauge on the core C7604
increased by 15% but on the distribution C4924 hit 50% from zero!  When I
went on with the test and launched iperf adding one more 50 Mbps stream in
udp multicact mode to stress-test both even more the cpu utilization on
C7604 became 60% and on C4924 hit 100%. It even became visible as the
Both switches work as ip multicast routers in sparse-dense mode. The RP is
C7604. Apparently all the multicast traffic gets process switched, though
I explicitly entered “ip mroute-cache” under every interface.
Did someone encounter something similar? Is it expected behavior? Is there
a way to force cef to do it's job. Specs say that  C4924 can switch/route
up to 72gbps irrespectively of L2/L3/L4 protocol.

wbr victor