[c-nsp] Give Cisco your feedback on the new download experience at tacwebsurvey at cisco.com (was: several heart-felt flames regarding the mess that is the Cisco.com download experience)

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Wed Jul 15 02:31:15 EDT 2009

On (2009-07-14 14:57 -0400), Jared Mauch wrote:

> I'm having a call with some people in a few minutes, I will share
> what is feasible to share once it's completed.

While I subscribe to the download manager hate, it doesn't bother me
nearly as much as unusable bugtool since the last upgrade two years
ago. Prior to the upgrade, I could solve maybe 1/3 of my cases, without
involving TAC. At that time, I thought bugtool was incredibly poorly
implemented, little did I know that it could get worse, much worse.
Why bugtool bothers me more is that I have software defects more often
than I need to upgrade boxes (new IOS maybe 3-4 times a year, but defects
several per week, as I open case for everything out of ordinary), and
worse come worse I can always email my SE to fetch me latest IOS,
but sucky bugtool is seriously hurting time it takes for me to solve an
issue.

I don't think the bugtool can carry that large amount of data, that it
can't be indexed with modern machine in acceptable time, delivering
instant searches without any qualifiers. The forced qualifying they now
have is annoying, as the bugs are tagged so poorly it makes you miss
them, even choosing just the main train, can lead you off (after you've
waited 20min to get the results).
Also how on earth can the bugs be tagged so poorly, I don't think it
would be large change process or DE effort when fixing a bug, to
give commitID for fix and commitID for the change which caused the
bug, allowing software to give perfect list of affected, non-affected
and fixed IOS'.

So if people are making some stand to CSCO about download manager,
it would be nice to include bugtool in the cry also.

Thanks,
--
  ++ytti