[c-nsp] OT: Network documentation tool

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Sat Jul 18 11:44:05 EDT 2009

I've always used TWiki for this since my ISP days, turned onto it by a
colleague.

It's a little difficult to wrap one's head around at first, since it's
one of those wikis where administering it involves editing parts of
certain pages (metawiki!).  But I have found that it's the best wiki for
business purposes.  There's a great plugin ecosystem, including my
favourite - a plugin to generate PDFs (branded cover sheets, tables of
contents, etc.) from the pages, and all sorts of other neat stuff.  Lets
me create and produce stylish, professional-looking network information
sheets for turn-ups and installs for customers in a few minutes or less,
since the underlying content is just some lines of simple wiki markup.
There are also quite a few WYSIWYG editing plugins for documents, so if
you want, you don't even have to learn wiki markup -- including a nice
one to edit tables in a spreadsheet-like way, which is uniquely handy
for managing IP address space information and other tabular data common
in the network world in a shared way.

It's very good for managing changes and collaboration, and includes
e-mail notification and summary of changes to all applicable parties.
The content architecture is also modular; it allows you to set up "webs"
(essentially, sub-wikis) that have their own distinct cosmetic styles,
permissions, global preferences, etc., so it's a handy way to easily
contain multiple wikis for different departments and/or levels of
administrative and managerial privilege.  We have a management wiki that
regular employees don't have access to that contains contracts/financial
information/sensitive customer data/etc. and another wiki for everyone
else, and all this was quite simple to do.

Just my 2 cents.

Peter Rathlev wrote:

> Kind of OT, but hopefully someone has an opinion anyway. :-)
>
> I'm looking for the perfect documentation tool for network
> documentation. We already have tools to map out the network and lots of
> management tools, but what I'm looking for is something like a
> repository to store and update all the written documentation, like
> procedures and so on.
>
> We've been looking at different Wikis, among others the Mediawiki suite,
> and it looks promising but in my eyes seem a little much when we could
> cope with somthing much simpler. We've also looked at document
> repositories like Owl. We've even looked at Sharepoint. None of these
> tools seem to be just right though.
>
> What do people use to store documentation? Currently we use a CIFS share
> but this seems clumsy at best.
>
> Any input is appreciated. :-)
>
> Regards,
> Peter