[c-nsp] edge router BGP

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Mon Jul 20 02:29:24 EDT 2009

Hi,

On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 11:12:18PM -0500, Justin Shore wrote:
> >We have no ASR1k yet, but if something like the ES20 "extra license for
> >IPv6 *per ES20 card*" is going to come back, this would be a strong reason
> >to finally go to the Vendor J camp.
>
> You can see the prices in the Dynamic Config Tool on cisco.com when you
> build an ASR.  I just built a 1002 in the DCT as an example.  I added a
> couple SPAs and licenses.  On the summary page there are SmartNet line
> items for:
[..]
> So for a $95k chassis @ list I have $5800 in SmartNets (8x5xNBD) @ list
> per year.

Mmmmh.  Comparing the numbers, the overall SmartNet is not *that* expensive
(if I remember correctly, we've paid similar amount for boxes with $60k list
prices).  So it might actually be more fair to do it that way.

OTOH the added maintenance overhead ("how much time will it take me to
figure out exactly what SmartNet contract to order for a given router that
has had modules and software licenses added to it over time") doesn't make
anything that's coupled to "exchangable parts" (SPA, ESP) much fun in
the long run.

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de