[c-nsp] X.25 performance problem

Antal Rutz arutz at pocsmadar.hu
Sun Jul 26 10:33:24 EDT 2009

Hi,

Does anyone have information about X.25 packet switching performance on
ISRs?

Problem:
One of our customers reported about very high CPU load (mainly causing
by the "IP input" process) on our 2811s. The 2811 routes X.25 packets
arriving on its serial interfaces to the server sitting on the LAN over XOT.
There are 30 SVCs simultaneously on the router and the CPU runs 98%
which affects the console response time, too.
Unfortunately I'm not near the console to investigate it right now but
for me it seems that the router got stucked in process switching.

Two questions:
1. Does anyone know the limits of parallel X.25 SVCs on a router (namely
2800 and 3800)?
2. If that's all what a 2811 can, how can I fine-tune the X.25 to limit
the load on the CPU?

Thanks

Antal