[c-nsp] L2TPv3 performance over gig?

Ge Moua moua0100 at umn.edu
Thu Jun 4 14:01:38 EDT 2009

The (2) scenarios is:
* L2TPv3 vc w/ no ecryption
vs.
* L2TPv3 vc w/ IPSec encryption (encapsulated inside of)

One can also do layer-2 VPN with MPLS, eg, AToM (EoMPLS), but I think
the initial thread was about L2TPv3 (layer-2 VPN inside native IP).
Persoanally I like the AToM/EoMPLS (or even VPLS) approach with the
many-to-many connections flexibility (vs. one-to-one connection
limitation with L2TPv3).

We have about a half-dozen sites on L2TPv3 but have considered
AToM/EoMPLS.  Just in case your wondering Cisco TAC has far more
in-depth expertise w/ MPLS flavors as I've been told; when you run into
issues.

Good luck.

Regards,
Ge Moua | Email: moua0100 at umn.edu

Network Design Engineer
University of Minnesota | Networking & Telecommunications Services