[c-nsp] 12k Full BGP Feed Memory Requirements

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Fri Jun 5 00:13:01 EDT 2009

On Fri, 5 Jun 2009, Antonio Soares wrote:

> I understand that 256 Mb is definitely not enough. But i don't
> understand why the problem only affected the 1X10GE-LR-SC and not the
> 4GE-SFP-LC. Both have 512 Mb of RAM.

Different models of linecards need different amounts of RAM for the same
amount of routes. For instance, the 4GE gives up earlier when having just
256M of ram (we had to upgrade a year ago or so) compared to the 3GE
(which still works).

You need to monitor your RP and LC memory as well as your "show ip cef
resources". Make sure your RP and LCs have *at least* 50 megs of ram free
at all times, it's sometimes needed during a re-route.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se