[c-nsp] Policy Based Routing on Cisco 6500

Roland Dobbins rdobbins at arbor.net
Tue Jun 9 08:01:15 EDT 2009

On Jun 9, 2009, at 6:00 PM, Shine Joseph wrote:

> I am wondering if there any performance issue with using PBR on a
> Cisco 6500 with Sup720?

I think (correction welcome) that it only works in hardware based upon
matching an extended ACL - any attempt to do things like match on
packet size, etc. results in software switching.

PBR by its nature is operationally brittle and ugly; if there's
another way to accomplish one's goal, it's generally best to pursue an
alternate method, if at all possible.

         Unfortunately, inefficiency scales really well.

		   -- Kevin Lawton