[c-nsp] full routing table / provider-class chassis

Ross Vandegrift ross at kallisti.us
Fri Jun 12 16:52:02 EDT 2009

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 11:42:45AM -0400, Kevin Loch wrote:
> A 6509 should not "fall over without DFC's" unless you are doing more
> than 30mpps.  That is 15gbit/s of 64 byte packets or 360gbit/s of
> 1500 byte packets.

Hah, keep drinking the cool aid!  I have a pair of 6500s ready to fall
over at about 150kpps.  All WS-67xx LAN cards with DFCs.  CPU averages
60% and often maxes.  TAC says that this is within the parameters of
normal performance given the role as datacenter aggregation routers.

No netflow, no uRPF, no multicast, no IPv6, no BFD, no MPLS, no ACLs
in the forwarding plane.  Very basic OSPF, BGP, and MSTP.  About 2000
VLANs, 80% of which have associated layer 3 SVIs.

On the other hand, I have other 6500s with identical hardware
inventory and almost identical config where performance is a complete
non-issue.  I've seen a 6500 in a near-optimal situation switch
2-3Mpps.  I'll believe 30Mpps when I see a 7200 NPE-G1 hit 1Mpps :)

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross at kallisti.us

"If the fight gets hot, the songs get hotter.  If the going gets tough,
the songs get tougher."
	--Woody Guthrie