[c-nsp] passive-interface on VRF-specific OSPF process

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Jun 26 07:04:20 EDT 2009

Lukas Garberg wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> while configuring an OSPF process for a VRF on a Cisco 3550-12G
> (running 12.2(25)SE) I notice that the command "passive-interface"
> is unavailable. How can this be? Is there another way I can suppress
> routing updates on an interface?

It's a bug. IIRC you can put the "passive-interface" statement in a
non-VRF OSPF process and it work e.g.

router ospf 1
   passive-interface Vlan390
   passive-interface Vlan391

router ospf 64512 vrf SAN
   network ...

The other option would be to use "redis connected subnets" and change
your network statement to only cover p2p e.g.

router ospf 64512 vrf SAN
   redistribute connected subnets
   network 172.17.0.0 0.0.0.255 area 0

...but this'll change the routes to be OSPF E2s. I used to think this
was advantageous (incremental SPF works better on routes changes at leaf
nodes of the tree i.e. E1/E2 routes) but have since been convinced that
the increased time it takes to sync LSDB outweighs that advantage on
modern routers.