[c-nsp] Sup720 crashing at RP boot - HW revision dependent ?

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Mar 11 07:14:30 EDT 2009

Marcus.Gerdon wrote:
> Hi @all,
>
> yesterday I've been hit by a somewhat strange - and possibly worrying -
> effect with Sup720 in 6500.
>
> I've got 3 Sup720-3BXL, one with an older HW revision (Sup: 4.4 / PFC:
> 1.6 / MSFC: 2.5) and 2 with newer (Sup: 5.2 / PFC: 1.8 / MSFC: 2.5). All
> three have been tested in a 6509 successfully by the supplier. According
> the test sheets they've used a Rev. 3.0 chassis.
>
> For offline testing and preparation I've an 6509 and 6506 spare chassis
> at hands, both of them being Rev. 2.0.
>
> When trying to boot those Sup in my 6509 the older one boots fine and
> everything is ok. The newer ones both start to boot and after switching
> to boot the RP it stalls (download doesn't even start, hangs after
> memory is displayed). After a minute or two a 'software forced crash'
> occurs and I'm thrown do SP rommon.

I've seen this exact symptom a couple of times with new supervisors. It
generally "goes away" after a bit of ill-specified fiddling (I know,
that's not very helpful)

The last time it happened, I ended up booting from a really old IOS off
the bootflash, re-formatting the CF card, loading a new IOS on then
re-loading again.

If you pin this down definitively I'd love to know the cause; there was
another post on the list recently with similar symptoms, so you're not
alone.