[c-nsp] 15km optics

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Fri Mar 13 14:21:15 EDT 2009

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009, Ray Burkholder wrote:

> I have a carrier which has about 13km to 15km of fibre to their CO.  They
> run 1310 nm alcatel equipment on their end.  I was wanting to use a Cisco
> GLC-LH-SM on my end but that is rated for 10km.  The GLC-ZX-SM is 1550 nm
> 70km device which is incompatible.

Why is the ZX incompatible?

"All" 1310nm optics have wideband receivers so getting the ZX into the LX
at the other end is not a problem (apart from that you might want to
attenuate it 5-10dB at the ZX launch end), and the ZX has -24dB receiver
sensitivity meaning you gain there as well.

This works. Been there done, that plenty of times.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se