[c-nsp] Needs some help with QOS

Ivan Pepelnjak ip at ioshints.info
Tue Mar 24 15:02:26 EDT 2009

> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk543/tk545/technologies_tech_note0918
> > 6a00800b2d29.shtml
>
> Basically, the virtual interfaces "do not implement the
> "back-pressure algorithm" necessary to signal that excess
> packets should be queued by the Layer 3 (L3) queueing system."
>
> Ok, so I'm going to have to implement a new solution based on
> that document.
>
> So just a final question, would the solution have worked if
> it was on a regular interface? I just want to make sure I had
> the right idea.

Yes, assuming that your outgoing interface is the bottleneck. For example,
if you have a point-to-point uplink, it's usually the bottleneck and the
queuing works as expected. But if you have a Fast Ethernet link into the SP
network which polices you @ 2 Mbps, the output queue will never form at your
output FE interface. Yet again, you'll have to configure shaping to
introduce an artificial bottleneck.

Ivan

http://www.ioshints.info/about
http://blog.ioshints.info/