[c-nsp] IPv6 ND over PPP

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sat May 2 04:03:59 EDT 2009

Hi,

On Fri, May 01, 2009 at 02:10:30PM -0700, Marlon Duksa wrote:
> Hi - 1) does anyone know if Cisco (IOS) is using IPv6CP for neighbor
> discovery on a PPP link or they run neighbor discovery on top of PPP link?
> 2) same question for  HDLC over PPP -> how do they do neighbor discovery
> there - ND, or statically provisioned neighbors or Inverse ND?

If you do PPP, Cisco will definitely run IPv6CP (but not for "neighbor
discovery" but for protocol negotiation).

I'm not sure if any sort of neighbor discovery is done at all for
point-to-point links.  As there is no ARP on IPv4 point-to-point links,
there is just no need for ND.  Just stuff the packet into the pipe...

One of my last non-ethernet circuit confirms this:

Cisco-M-XII>sh ipv nei pos6/0
IPv6 Address                              Age Link-layer Addr State Interface

Cisco-M-XII>

(it's happily speaking OSPFv3 and forwarding IPv6 packets over that link,
but no need for ND)

DAD is done, though.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/