[c-nsp] Cisco ASA 5505 limitations

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Mon May 4 14:13:21 EDT 2009

Or you could buy an ISR 881 for less than half the cost of the ASA 5505.
  That's basically what we've switched to.  We were deploying 5505s for
remote workers and we're now deploying 881s with wifi.  The cost of a
5505 and AP1131 is on par as the cost of the 881W w/ Adv IP license and
PoE PSU.  The ASA loses its appeal when you see the cost of doing more
than 1 VLAN.  With the ISR 881 I can have a pair of VLANs for secured
voice and data (wired and wifi, only company machines allowed on it) and
another unsecured VLAN for guest access (wired and wifi).  That way I
can prohibit access to our corporate LAN from the unsecured side of our
remote user's network.  Works like a champ.  Plus you have Cisco wifi so
getting it to work with Cisco cordless phones is a breeze.

Justin