[c-nsp] OT: Cisco WAAS Setup Scenario

Felix Nkansah felixnkansah at gmail.com
Mon May 18 16:42:47 EDT 2009

Hi Team,
Pardon me for the OT.

I want to deploy Cisco WAAS as a proof of concept to a client with several
sites connected in a hub-n-spoke topology.

I would deploy only one WAE (and a CM) at the hub/head office and one WAE at
a selected spoke, in production.

I intend on setting the WAEs Inline for simplicity. However, I have some
doubts that I hope you could help clear.

If the WAE at the head office accelerates traffic going to a spoke site
without a WAE, would the traffic be dropped?

If the hub site receives non-accelerated traffic from spoke sites without
WAE, would the head office WAE drop the traffic?

I am concerned because I know the acceleration process utilizes compression
schemes which may require decompression at the other site by a WAE.

Labbing this up would give me the answers, but I felt I could leverage your
skills for quick answers to these :-)

Your responses are appreciated.

Felix