[c-nsp] VRRP / MAC Forwarding Problem on Sup2/PFC2

Geoffrey Pendery geoff at pendery.net
Tue May 19 09:54:07 EDT 2009

1.  You mention 12.2(18)SXF15 - I assume you're running native?  With
"ip cef"?  The "memorize the MAC address" you mentioned sounds like
the old style MLS on hybrid...

2.  I've seen the "traceroute doesn't match ip route path" behavior
before, with a CEF bug.  The CEF table had been holding onto an old
default route even though the IP routing table had a new one.  You
might be able to confirm this behavior with a "show ip cef" on 6509#1
(looking to confirm that the next hop leaves via the interface to BB#1
instead of 6509#2), and/or a "clear ip route *" on 6509#1, which
should clear the CEF FIB as well and force it to rebuild the table.

3.  A sniffer on 6509#1 might shed more light on the problem, as
you'll be able to really see the destination MAC addresses and the
ingress/egress ports.  The only other idea that's coming to me which
fits into semi-normal routing behavior is - maybe 6509#2 wants to
route the packet out BB#1 anyway, and is sending an ICMP redirect to
your server after the first packet, telling him to use 6509#1 instead.
 Another idea for checking this - clear the ARPs on your server, then
run some of this traffic, then show the ARPs.  See if he has an ARP
for the backup VRRP address, not just his default gateway.

Hope that helps.  Even if I'm wrong, I'd be curious to know how it turns out.

-Geoff