[c-nsp] netflow sampling

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Tue May 19 17:18:59 EDT 2009

> ok. Thanks. So there is a possibility that some flows will never be sampled
> (accounted for). And even a bigger possibility that more packets of the same
> flow will never be sampled.

Absolutely.

> It looks to me that the accuracy of such approach is pretty bad. How can you
> use this for any meaningful accounting, much less billing.

The accuracy is actually pretty good, as long as you remember that it is
*sampled*, and what you get is statistics, not accurate accounting. You
should *not* use sampled netflow for accounting/billing.

We use sampled netflow for two main purposes:

- Traffic planning - seeing what ASes we exchange the most traffic with,
in order to find possible peering candidates, etc.
- Abuse handling - after the fact analysis of DDoS attacks, port scans
and similar.

For our purposes, sampled netflow works well here.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no