[c-nsp] Limits of STP/RSTP/REP?

Tassos Chatzithomaoglou achatz at forthnet.gr
Fri May 22 12:07:42 EDT 2009

That was for Rapid PVST+ (cisco prop). MST doesn't use such timers, besides MST0/IST (probably for compatibility outside
the region).

switch(config)#spanning-tree mst 0 root primary diameter ?
   <2-7>  Maximum number of bridges between any two end nodes

switch(config)#spanning-tree mst 1 root primary ?
   <cr>

Keep in mind that the diameter value is just an internal IOS kind-of-macro that just changes automatically all other stp
timers according to its value. So you can configure a diameter of 7, check the produced timers and then take the risk
and increase them further.

Also 802.1D-2004 proposes some values for max-age in accordance to other timers.

2 ? (Bridge_Forward_Delay -- 1.0 seconds) >= Bridge_Max_Age
Bridge_Max_Age >= 2 ? (Bridge_Hello_Time + 1.0 seconds)

--
Tassos