[c-nsp] EoMPLS/Sup32/xconnect - missing something obvious

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sat May 23 08:14:10 EDT 2009

Hi,

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 08:14:50PM -0400, L'argent wrote:
> interface GigabitEthernet4/2
>  mtu 1526
>  no ip address
>  speed nonegotiate
>  mpls ldp discovery transport-address interface
>  mpls bgp forwarding
>  mpls label protocol ldp
>  mpls ip
>  xconnect 10.0.0.114 100 encapsulation mpls

On the interface that forms the EoMPLS bridge ("towards the customer"),
you should NOT enable any MPLS stuff.  (I'm not sure what happens if
you do, but that's not required).

You need the MPLS stuff on the 10G interface that interconnects the
routers.

Then check "show ip cef 10.0.0.114" on this router, and it should tell
you that a MPLS path exists ("nexthop ... label yy")

> #sh mpls l2 binding
>   Destination Address: 10.0.0.114,  VC ID: 100
>     Local Label:  unassigned.
>     Remote Label: unassigned

This might be due to missing "mpls ip" on the 10G link.

> #sh mpls interfaces
> Interface              IP            Tunnel   BGP Static Operational
> GigabitEthernet4/2     Yes           No       Yes No     No

... indeed.  Don't enable MPSL on the customer-facing ports, enable it
on your "router-to-router" interfaces.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de