[c-nsp] heat fins popping loose on WS-X67xx cards

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Thu May 28 12:58:48 EDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-05-28 at 11:19 -0500, Jay Ford wrote:
> In the past 9 days I've found that 3 of our Catalyst 6500 WS-X67xx cards (2
> WS-X6748-GE-TX & 1 WS-X6748-SFP) had dislodged heat fins.  The fins are
> supposed to be tethered by a spring hooked into a small wire loop which seems
> to be soldered onto the circuit board.  In the case at hand the wire loop
> pulls out of the board & the heat fin then flops around free & in 1 case the
> wire loop was rattling around on the card.  Not good.
>
> I'm trying to determine if this is a systemic problem or just a fluke.  It
> seems like a design flaw, with the spring being too much for the soldered
> wire loop.  Has anybody else seen this?  If so, with how many cards & of what
> types?

We had this happen to three 6748-GE-TX cards. We discovered it while
performing some physical relocations/upgrades. It might have happened to
other modules that we didn't look at.

For some reason we decided to let one of the systems run, just to see
what effect it had. FWIW it has had no problems for ~1 year now.

It was no problem RMAing them.

Regards,
Peter