[c-nsp] heat fins popping loose on WS-X67xx cards

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Thu May 28 21:42:21 EDT 2009

On Fri, 29 May 2009, Tassos Chatzithomaoglou wrote:

> Can someone please take a photo and upload it somewhere, so everyone else can
> better understand what exactly is the issue you're talking about?

Pardon the crappy cellphone pic...but
http://www.lewis.org/~jlewis/heatsink.jpg

The anchor points (at least on this motherboard) basically look like
jumper posts that have been joined with an arch.  The heatsink is held in
place by spring tension against the four anchors.  Just one anchor failing
results in the heatsink popping up off the chip and in my case resulted in
very frequent system crashes.