[c-nsp] BPDU Guard issue

Ian Henderson ianh at ianh.net.au
Tue Nov 3 07:51:37 EST 2009

On Tue, 3 Nov 2009, Stanly Johns wrote:

> Is it possible for a BPDU guard enabled switch port to get disabled
> without connecting any other device than the IP Phone and a PC ? I had
> to do a shut and no shut to bring it up !

I've run into this - Virtualbox uses Windows bridging to handle
networking which runs spanning-tree. Google shows the answer as:

"You can prevent the Bridge from forwarding packets by editing the
registry. In your favorite registry editor, navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BridgeMP

Create a new DWORD value and name it DisableForwarding. Double click the
new entry and set its value to 1. You'll need to reboot to apply the
change. You can disable the Spanning Tree Algorithm in a similar manner,
by creating a DWORD value in the same key called DisableSTA and setting
its value to 1."

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-22_11-5569815.html via
http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6264&start=0.

Rgds,