[c-nsp] 7600 for ip transit uplink

vince anton mvanton at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 05:56:18 EST 2009

Hi All,

im looking at using a 7600 to terminate a 10GE uplink for IP transit to my
upstream. no BGP full table yet, just a default route.

I will be using a 6704 to connect the 7600 my core, of course also using
10GE links.

The question i have is regarding which interface to use to connect to the
upstream.  Although using another of the ports on the 6704 would work for
this, Im not entirely convinced about it vs using say a SIP-600 which is
possibly more appropriate ?   Is the 6704 port something I should not
consider at all for the upstream link ?

I'd like to hear from people as to what they are doing in their networks to
evaluate pros and cons.

Im aware that 6704 is a LAN card, as opposed to using a SIP-600 which is
intended for WAN which offers deeper buffers, shaping etc...  but the price
difference is enormous!

thanks

anton