[c-nsp] SUP2 boot problem

Buhrmaster, Gary gtb at slac.stanford.edu
Mon Nov 16 13:57:49 EST 2009

> Autoboot executing command: "boot
> disk0:s222-adventerprisek9_wan-mz.122-18.SXF6.bin"
> Command error complete on disk0:
> open: read error...requested 0x4 bytes, got 0xffffffff
> trouble reading device magic number
> loadprog: error - on file open
> boot: cannot load "disk0:s222-adventerprisek9_wan-mz.122-18.SXF6.bin"
> Exit at the end of BOOT string

You should check to be sure that the monlib is correct,
but my recollection is that the "trouble reading device magic number"
error is often the result of a particular PCMCIA flash
disk having "different" timings than Cisco supports in
the bootstrap program.

I also recall that even some Cisco branded cards were
field notice recalled for the same problem.

The "challenge" is that not all SUP2's will
exhibit the same problem with the same cards,
and even those that fail booting will almost
always work when you boot to IOS (which, presumably,
uses different timings for accessing the flash disks.)

So, you might try swapping in another PCMCIA card
to see if that works for you.  You may need to
try a few different vendors.

The ones that I have found that tend to work
are 64MB SANDISK and 48MB VIKING cards, but
I am sure there are other variants; those are
just the ones that worked for me (and that is
where I stopped experimenting).

Gary