[c-nsp] RFC-1483 on Cisco 12000

Ryan Werber RWerber at epiknetworks.com
Fri Nov 20 02:28:05 EST 2009

[mailto:cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net] On Behalf Of Forrest W.
Christian

>I have a new-to-me Cisco 12008 which I am working on swapping in as a
>replacement for a 7206VXR which was moving way too much traffic....
>GRP,, Engine 1 Giga-E, Engine 0 Quad ATM OC3.

Please be aware that ATM card is not longer supported and will not work
in a more recent IOS. It will also disable dcef on a full-BGP table,
which disables the card.

> Things have gone really well, and I'm quite happy so far...   But
ended
>up with one surprise.  Didn't realize the 12008 won't bridge a ATM PVC
>to a VLAN (or any ethernet for that matter)...

>Basically we have a few things which we extend an 802.1q vlan across a
>point to point ATM circuit to a far end for.   I have a couple of ideas

>on how to get around it, but would really prefer that the 12008 do the
>work.   Doesn't look like an option for me - but figured I'd ask if
>anyone knows of something I missed....   The other ends of the ATM
>circuit are various old and new ciscos, some with MPLS, and some not,
>although it doesn't look like the 12008 will do EoMPLS either with the
>engines I have.

>Probably will look at some other options using a tunnel or similar.

With what you have, (I believe) you are out of luck.

Local switching for 'any-to-any' is only supported on the ISE engines
(3+) - all of which are still very expensive.

Option #1 (which I know works)
    enable mpls end to end, and acquire an 3GE-GBIC-SC - which is the 3
port. these can be found for under 1000$ on eBay. The reason is the
1GE-GBIC is an engine1 which cannot do "Edge" mpls functionality. the
3GE-GBIC is an engine2 which can.

Then, you do mpls l2transport and a xconnect. Documentation on setting
this up is easily found on ciscos site.

Option #2
   To do anything with l2tp I believe you need a tunneling card, which
requires an engine2 (backbone) card. POS-OC48 is most likely going to be
the cheapest at like 500$ on eBay. I have not done this myself, nor
recommend it. it wastes a slot.

Option #3
	do L2TP to the recently retired 7200 and do the encapsulation
over IP. This I believe is your only 0$ cost option. I would check to
see if all of your devices will do L2tp.

Evidence of mpls edge support

#show diags 2 | i 3GE
  FRU:  Linecard/Module: 3GE-GBIC-SC=

#show mpls l2transport hw-capability interface gi2/1
<snip>
Transport type Eth VLAN
  Core functionality:
    MPLS label disposition supported
    Distributed processing supported
    Control word processing supported
    Sequence number processing not supported
  Edge functionality:
    MPLS label imposition supported
    Distributed processing supported
    Control word processing supported
    Sequence number processing not supported
</SNIP>
#show diags 0 | i GE
  FRU:  Linecard/Module: GE-GBIC-SC-B=
#show mpls l2transport hw-capability interface gi0/0
<snip>
Transport type Eth VLAN
  Core functionality:
    MPLS label disposition supported
    Distributed processing supported
    Control word processing supported
    Sequence number processing not supported
  Edge functionality:
    Not supported
</snip>

Hope this helps