[c-nsp] Secondary VLAN deployment on Metro ETTH

Pavel Skovajsa pavel.skovajsa at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 09:47:40 EST 2009

Hi all,

I am planning to implement Secondary VLANs feature on a Metro ETTH
based on ME3400+76k. I have read various docs about the best I found
is on http://blog.internetworkexpert.com/2008/07/14/private-vlans-revisited/

I have couple questions/scenarios I want to doublecheck with you:
1. Anybody using VPTv3 do disseminate the PVLAN info?
2. What if there are 3rd party switches in the environment placed
randomly between the ME3400?

Here is my train of thought:
    - From the explanations in the various docs I understood that the
MAC address table for *downstream traffic* is stored in primary VLAN
table
    - The reverse upstream traffic is stored in secondary VLAN MAC table
    -> hence it follows (not written anywhere) that in order to
properly switch the traffic and not flood it, the PVLAN implementation
must do lookups in JOINED primary+secondary mac address table.

Now the problem might lie in having 3rd party switches placed
*between* ME3400 - they have no idea about the PVLANs hence forward it
according to their VLAN tables -> which are are NOT joined -> hence
the traffic is flooded on them.

-pavel skovajsa