[c-nsp] Basic QoS on ATM subinterfaces

Tim Franklin tim at pelican.org
Tue Nov 24 10:14:27 EST 2009

Hi Dave,

> I've got a PA-A3-OC3 that is terminating a large number of PPPoA
> connections. I need to do basic QoS/prioritization for voice traffic.
> am using a subinterface per VPI with a vc-class to reference the
> virtual-template.
>
> I have set up a parent/child policy-map as the documentation suggested
>
> but trying to apply it doesn't work:
>
> router(config)#int atm4/0
> router(config-if)#service-policy output VOICE-PARENT
>   GTS : Not supported on this interface

No, this won't work.  You've got several places you can apply the template:

-On the sub-interface
-On the PVC, with the outer shaper removed
-On the virtual-access (via the virtual-template)

If you're bulk-terminating a bunch of PPPoA sessions, I'd suggest that you want it applied to the virtual-access interface.  You can do this by either applying it to the virtual-template (if you're sure you always want the same policy for all the users), or push it back from RADIUS as a Cisco-avpair as each virtual-access interface is cloned.

Regards,
Tim.