[c-nsp] 6500 - What determines whether certain traffic is punted or not?

Drew Weaver drew.weaver at thenap.com
Tue Nov 24 11:33:25 EST 2009

Howdy,

I've been having some issues with queue drops/CLI sluggishness on a 6500 and I wanted to check what kind of volume of traffic I was getting punted to the RP.

I made a span session and began checking out the traffic with tethereal.

It seems like a huge (30,000) or so packets every few seconds of just UDP traffic is being punted.

The system is a Sup720-3BXL.

Does anyone know how to determine what kind of traffic should be punted to the RP and more importantly why this UDP traffic is hitting the RP?

It almost looks like p2p traffic, but I also see other types of traffic, tcp 445, DNS, port 80, etc.

thanks,
-Drew