[c-nsp] Nat Issues With cisco Routers

Lin dominic at broadconnect.ca
Tue Nov 24 23:18:02 EST 2009

Hi Everyone,

I am using a Cisco 1841 router, and behind the router are Polycom IP phones
with private ips.  When nat is enabled, most of the phones register just
fine. However, a few fail to register. The SBC on the Telco end responds
with an "482 Loop Detected". It appears the Cisco router is sending the sip
registeration request with a the public_ip:port that has already been
registered with the SBC! Apparently the same port, on the same public ip, is
being mapped to more than one device on the local network.  How the hell is
this possible? Anybody ever encountered this before?

I tried to do a "no ip nat service sip tcp port 5060" command. This removes
the "482 Loop Detected Error" and allows the client ip phone to register.
However, outgoing calls fail, because the SBC on the other end responds with
an "403" error. Apparently, the header being submitted is not acceptable.

Anybody come accros this before?

Lin