[c-nsp] [j-nsp] Network Liberation Movement???

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Fri Nov 27 04:54:23 EST 2009

On Thursday 26 November 2009 05:07:04 am chris at lavin-llc.com
wrote:

> I am not at all familiar with HP ProCurve. The recent
>  announcement concerns me. What happens if during the
>  overlap analysis HP dumps some of their product line?
>  Did we lose time making an effort to learn new products,
>  configurations and vendor-suggested best practices?
>  Knowing almost everyone's shop runs too thin and too
>  fast, losing ground to incorporate something that may no
>  longer be sold seems like a possible mistake in
>  judgement and a blow to morale.

It is a risk we all take when working with vendors. That is
why we try to stick to the ones who have a track record for
"surviving" :-).

Some have been gobbled up, others have straight-out
collapsed. There might be a higher cost to pay, in the short
term, for limiting your choices, but the long term benefit
of not having to "worry" about it are worth it.

We've had it all - Cisco, Juniper, Extreme, Alcatel, Nortel,
BayStack, Xyplex, 3Com, HP, Foundry, e.t.c. When I joined,
we cut all that out and stuck with Cisco + Juniper. We've
been better off for it.

Cheers,

Mark.