[c-nsp] DWDM optics on 6500s

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Mon Oct 5 17:41:14 EDT 2009

On Monday 05 October 2009 11:06:31 pm Nick Hilliard wrote:

> As I said, it depends on what you want to do.  If you're
> running just a couple of gigs and don't care about the
> broadcast traffic problem or, say, are using them for L3
> traffic instead of L2, then they are great. Similarly,
> the C65k+sup720 platform makes a really nice high
> density, feature rich 1G platform.  But if you're
> planning to run lots of very high bandwidth stuff, it
> might be better to use a different platform.

From Cisco, I think that if the goal is to aggregate n x
10Gbps Ethernet in abundance, for pure Layer 2 core
switching over a limited distance (within the data centre),
the Nexus 5000 might not be such a bad consideration.

Preliminary pricing for this vs. a couple of WS-X6708 is
comparable, and better in certain cases. YMMV.

That said, it's also clear the 6500 isn't done yet, and it's
still got a number of tricks up its sleeve. The question is,
"Will you wait?".

Cheers,

Mark.