[c-nsp] ASA Firewalls placement in the network!

Roland Dobbins rdobbins at arbor.net
Sat Oct 10 04:49:52 EDT 2009

On Oct 10, 2009, at 10:06 AM, Brian Johnson wrote:

> So are you actually saying that DPI is a bad thing relative to server
> protection? What makes this a bad idea? In what way does it make them
> more vulnerable to attacks?

DPI <> firewalls.

> My experience with crafted packet attacks (being attacked, not
> attacking
> others :P) tells me that this is a good layer of protection.

Concur.  Again, it has nothing to do with stateful firewalls.

> <sarcasm> What Arbor product would you like to sell me to accomplish
> this type of protection?</sarcasm>

I publicly held this position when I worked for the world's largest
vendor of stateful firewalls.  My position was based upon operational
experience then, as now.

In this threat, I stated that enforcing policy should be handled by
stateless ACLs in hardware.  Arbor Networks doesn't make routers.

> Not trying to be snide here (at least not anymore ;P), but I doubt
> that
> the majority of CFOs would be fine leaving their servers behind simple
> ACLs. I would never do that

That's because you, like your hypothetical CFOs, obviously have no
experience running large-scale public-facing Internet properties.  Any
large-scale, publicly-visible Web site you can name doesn't have
stateful firewalls in front of its servers.

For a server like a DNS server, a Web server, and so forth, every
connection which comes into said server is by definition unsolicited.
So, the entire purpose of stateful inspection in front of such servers
is moot.

Sorry, sometimes I mistake your existential crises for technical
insights.

			-- xkcd #625