[c-nsp] ASA Firewalls placement in the network!

Ge Moua moua0100 at umn.edu
Mon Oct 12 13:09:43 EDT 2009

Joel M Snyder -
 >> If you do the job right, from a security point of view, you can
certainly put a fine firewall in front of a very busy DNS server.  (and
when I say "very busy" I'm talking 10K queries a second, which is to say
about 20Mbit/second sustained round-the-clock load, for less than $10K)

what you recommend for this?  Some of my colleague have suggested a
redundant open-bsd cluster (with plenty of RAM b/c memory is cheap these
days) with PF; I can see a scalable home grown solution that can address
the "exhausted state table" issue; I'm just wondering if cheap fast CPU
will be on par (performance and throughput wise) with fast ASIC like the
big box vendor uses on their firewall products.

What do you think?

Regards,
Ge Moua | Email: moua0100 at umn.edu

Network Design Engineer
University of Minnesota | Networking & Telecommunications Services