[c-nsp] RPF-vector and Interdomain multicast

Egor Zimin lesnix at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 05:18:08 EDT 2009

Dear All,
Does anybody deploy RPF-vector feature with interdomain multicast solution ?

We need to distribute multicast source routes with BGP ipv4 multicast AF.
However, we wants to save completely BGP-free core (P-routers and some
other). RPF Vector looks like very suitable feature in this situation, but
unfortunately, we cannot use it, because of our multicast solution is
interdomain(we are using PIM SSM) and routers in our AS are
RPF-vector-enabled, however routers in upstream's AS are
non-RPFvector-enabled.

So, we need to enable rpf vector feature on our ASBRs, but upstream's ASBRs
doesn't support this TLV.

My questions are:
1. Is it true, that RPF vector feature must be enabled in all routers in a
multicast tree even if tree is interdomain ?
2. If no, how this TLV should be processed by non-rpf-vector-aware routers?
3. How do you think, would it be logical to enable this feature on a
per-interface(and even per-interface per direction) basis ?

--
Best regards,
Egor Zimin