[c-nsp] network rebuild questions

Bill Desjardins bill at ethernext.com
Sat Oct 31 14:20:36 EDT 2009

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 2:03 PM, Roland Dobbins <rdobbins at arbor.net> wrote:

>> this reminded me of a point I forgot to mention.. budget. sup2's are
>> what I can afford.
>
> One is better off not building a network at all than building one which
> doesn't provide the baseline functionality necessary to exert control over
> it, IMHO, heh.
>
> What about ASR1Ks?  And have you looked into used gear?

yes, but not affordable for me.

> Building a network with 6500s at the edge based upon any current hardware is
> a road into despair and grief, IMHO; same with 6500s with Sup2s in the core,
> IMHO.

well, sup1 6500's doing everything all in one have been rock solid the
last 5+yrs now and are still pushing ~460k PPS in+out at this very
moment without a hiccup and doing everything I want them too. its 99%
voip traffic as well with very happy customers. I dont see the point
that all of sudden I am going to be in despair and grief with modestly
better hardware and a much improved network architecture. IMHO.

Bill