[c-nsp] Management stuff in VRFs

Clinton Work clinton at scripty.com
Wed Sep 2 17:59:02 EDT 2009

A management VRF is attractive from best practice perspective, but full
management support like using the global routing table is lacking in
Cisco IOS.   I have enhancement CSCsu22476 open to support selecting the
syslog source interface when using VRF aware syslog (IOS 12.4T).  While
not always practical for full Internet routes, I would recommend using
the global routing table for mgmt and putting all the customer traffic
in a VRF.  There are also many Cisco IOS features which only work in the
global routing table making a management VRF more attractive.